Check out our exclusively designed AVION and other All Aluminum RV Gifts, Clothing & RV accessories! “artist designed + many items can be personalized by you at no extra cost!
AVION & other RV RESOURCE LINKS
Below is a Quick Link Summary of items we use and can be seen referenced in various blog posts and photos. Please note our disclaimer at bottom of this page. Many, but not all of the links below are from Amazon or have been provided by fellow Avion owners on various facebook and other forum sites.
OUR FAV’S COLLECTED IN A ONE STOP AMAZON LIST! Quick Link to our Pewter Palace RV Items Amazon Shared List Bookmark this page so as we add new “finds” you can find them too!
- We will continue to add to this one stop shop page so check back often!
- These are saved items that we use on our Avion, or have purchased for repair projects, etc.
- NOTE: We do not have an official Amazon store (yet! as we need 500+ followers first- at some point we hope to have an affiliate link storefront to make your one-stop-shop shopping even easier)
OTHER LINKS TO SOURCES FOR REPAIRS, RESTORATIONS, EVERYDAY STUFF FOR RV’S
Window, Door, & Exterior Light Repair:
- Interstate RV Metal and Supply: Rubber mouldings (glass bead) for Hehr Windows
- Bone Tool: Great for scraping off goo, old adhesive, stickers, will not mar aluminum, plexi or glass.
- Lense for Step Light small lamp to right of Avion Steps (we have a ’73 but owners with rigs in the 1980s say this works for them too!)
- Vent Fan Roof Cover. We have not ordered these but since this large size is impossible to find this is a source to bookmark. Let us know if you get one of these and please offer a review!
- Vinyl Door Trim. This Ebay seller has an online store with many different profiles and colors for this moulding. Be sure to sit it on the sun to increase flexibility when installing.
- Front and Rear Marker Lights: These are a perfect fit, look great to replace our 1987 marker lights. They can be retrofitted to use an LED bulb from M4 LED lights as well. https://www.easternmarine.com/rubber-body-mount-amber-marker-light-1506ad
Tires, Rims, etc.
- Rims: We went with 16″ rims to raise up the trailer by an inch: https://recstuff.com/trailer-wheels/aluminum-trailer-wheels/16×6-6-bolt-on-5-5-aluminum-t02-trailer-wheel/
- 4.25″ center cap, Stainless Steel for rims: https://recstuff.com/trailer-tires-wheels/wheel-accessories/4-25-stainless-steel-ez-lube-center-cap-ccs002/
- High Pressure, Steel valve stems: https://recstuff.com/trailer-tires-wheels/wheel-accessories/valve-stems/high-pressure-bolt-in-metal-valve-stem-0-130-psi/
- Centramatic Wheel Balancers: https://www.centramatic.com/wheel-balancer.rhtml?modelNumber=200-223
- ZipDee Awnings (we have full curbside awning and also window awnings on rear and streetside)
- Awning Clips– I use these to clip to valance of awning and then lay my fairy lights and other patio lights into the hook at bottom. These are WAY cheaper than any you will buy at a RV supply store and work perfectly. Quick to take down if bad weather strikes.
Exterior equipment and repair materials:
- Step Block (alternative to fold down original steps, also makes great step ladder, we love it! We have it in the green, makes a nice seat for grandkids or overflow adult seating or a great end table too)
- Solar Powered Fairy Lights (the ones i purchased are no longer available, but these are very similar but by a different company. Reviews on Amazon seem very comparable)
- Weber Grill This is actually our second one. We love these so much we now have one at home, one for the road.
- Reproduction Avion Travelcade Stickers ( on Ebay)
- Eternabond Tape (for covering roof seams, rivets)
- Butyl Tape – goes behind window frames, under any afixed items on roof like vent flanges, etc. to prevent water penetration.
- Inline Water Filters – there is no telling what water quality and purity you are going to get at campsites. Best to screen out all that you can!
- Sidewinder Sewer Hose Cradle– keep your hose off gravel or sharp items. Have it angled for best downward flow.
- EXtreme Sewer Hose– we have used many brands/models. This is terrific!
- Rhino Sewer Hose Cleaning equipment
- Fresh (for drinking only) hose. Best one we have tried, and we have had many different brands. Pays to get quality from the start.
- Brass Inline Water Hose Fitting
- Brass Inline Water Hose fitting with gauge– good to have if you suspect pressure issues from the campground.
- Scissor Jack Socket Drill Bit – make your set up quick…put this on end of a portable drill and crank down and up your stabilizers in a jiffy. We bought several of these in case you lose one!
- Anderson Levelers– in our opinion, the best and only way to go. We have used the flat blocks over the years and do keep a few handy for under our stabilizers or in case of lots of loose or muddy site. But these Anderson’s are our go to for leveling! We bought the delux set that also has the large one that can be used on its side underneath your power hitch lift.
- Progressive Industries Surge Protector – really well regarded by many. We do not travel without it! We do suggest you put a bike cable lock around electric pedestal at campground to lock this baby in place, they are valuable and could be easily stolen!
- Outland LP Fire Bowl – more and more where we roam fires are limited. We like being able to “turn this off” and go to bed and not worry about non-attended sparks. Pricey but highly recommended by many full time RVers for durability and overall use and quality.
- Reproduction Avion Travelcade Stickers ( on Ebay)
19. Interstate RV Metal and Supply: Great Source for “Glaze Bead”(that black stuff that goes around the exterior of your windows to hold them in place and prevent leaks). Here is our video when we did this repair job.
NEW!!! Here is a reputable Ebay store who makes up the Travelcade Club member #s if you need to add or are missing your original ones. https://www.ebay.com/str/cannedhamdecals?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 In some cases, you will see a “ghost” of these numbers on one front side panel and rear of your Avion. These indicate your trailer owners at some point joined the Travelcade Club exclusively for Avion Owners. This club no longer exists, and actually current Avion owners are more than free to create their own #s if they wish if yours never had numbers. There are some Avion owners on the facebook pages who have the old member registries and they can help you research your rig if you have the numbers or “ghost” images of where the numbers used to be! Contact us directly using our contact page on our blog for more info!
For our 1973 Avion we used the following glaze bead from Interstate RV with excellent results. We ordered the black and like how it looks a lot. Interstate does not do online ordering so it is best to simply call them to place your order.
INTERSTATE RV METAL & SUPPLY 800-587-3463 OR 503-786-8860
- CATALOG # 009-344 1/8 INCH GLAZE BEAD [ April/2017 was $1.50 per foot + s/h] (comes in black or white) we suggest black as honestly it nearly fades into the window so it does not show at all. I do not have a per foot price handy but will post in the very near future. Their customer service is very good and they are “Avion friendly folks” and know vintage rigs. We highly recommend their product. Along with the glaze bead you will need Par Bond to apply at the seams where your rubber glaze bead meet each other end to end. This will prevent water seepage into that seam. Be sure to really butt the two ends up very tightly because there will be some shrinkage over time and a redo of par bond to fill those cracks may be needed so be vigilant on that! Applying the bead in warm weather and/or using a hair blow dryer will help keep it supple and easier to get in. Using a plastic putty knife may also be helpful.
Interior Equipment and every day things:
- Unique (brand) Digester – Black Tank Digester is by far the best on the market. They have instructions even for disjarring long standing sludge from your tank if your Avion has been sitting for a long time.
- Awesome Storage Ottomans– these can easily also function as an extra seat because they can handle the weight. We have them on board and at home. Very good construction.
- Farberware 8-cup Stove Top Perculator– use it daily, very good quality.
- Progressive Coffee Storage love that it has a clip to keep scoop inside lid.
- Oxo Storage containers – square design saves space, stackable, pop top ensures airtight seal. Recommended by fellow RVers who full time. Keep mice and bugs from sniffing yummy food in your cabinets!
- Museum Putty– for keeping knicknacks and other things in place on shelves. I also put dots of it behind all hanging picture frames etc. to keep them from swinging while traveling.
- Best Toaster Ever! Love this to bits. Have two now in case of guests as does only toast two pieces over one stove burner at a time. No electricity or counter space needed!
- Collapsible food storage nesting containers. These are terrific, take up no space and hold up very well. Square shape means they fit in either refrig or cupboards better.
- LED LIGHT BULBS: there are lots of knock off, cheap LED’s out there so beware. We used replacement bulbs from M4 under the recommendation of TheRvGeeks and other long standing, full time RVers.
- Mattress Saver https://www.mattressinsider.com/mattress-condensation-prevention.html. Mattress vent fiber layer. Prevents mold and condensation in mattresses. We bot enough to do b our bunks. Cuts easy with kitchen shears.
- FRESH CAB rodent repellent sachets. Organic, smell mild and nice not obnoxious. You can order this from Amazon or direct from Earthkind company.
NEED HELP WITH PLANNING AN RV TRIP SUCCESSFULLY, SAFELY AND FOR ENJOYMENT NOT STRESS?
PLANNING AN AWESOME EPIC RV TRIP?? Need a good place to start to understand the best way to plan your trip with the minimum of headaches along the way? Check out this course , “How to Plan Your Epic RV Adventure” which we gladly endorse for fellow wanderers. Created and produced by Courtney & Steve Adcock from “AStreaminLife”. We have taken the course and I can tell you it has really helped us plan for our future trips with far more confidence and therefore more enjoyment once on the road. More about their online course….
MORE LINKS AND REFERENCE SOURCES FOR AVION OWNERS:
HISTORY OF AVION LUXURY TRAVEL TRAILERS:
Below are links and sources we have found online that provide a myriad of information for Avion owners as well as simply being great resources for anyone owning a vintage camper. I continue to add as more are found (and I have the time!)
Best to start here….History of the Avion Luxury Travel Coaches
Publications: there are precious few (really only one) hard copy book published about the Avion and Cayo story. There are occasional magazine stories that could be found in old trailer life, etc. magazine—but none come close to the wealth of knowledge that is found in the book below. Granted, some of the book is Mr. Muncy’s personal musings about life with an Avion- but between this book and the online Fb resources and Silver Avion website by Dr G–(see link below for this site) this book below is the MUST HAVE!
Book Name: SILVER AVIONS AND CAYOS
by Bob Muncy, a long time Avion owner and very involved with the Avion Travelcades etc. wrote and published a “must have” book that gives a wonderful history to the company as well as chapters on spec details, evolution in design of the Avion’s, stories about attending and helping to put on the Travelcade rallies as well as a bevvy of awesome photos from his journeys, Avion Corp/Cayo corp. archives and others who submitted photos of their beloved Avion’s for the publication of the book.
Well worth the read and a great gift to an Avion lover! (yes, we have the book!)
Here is where we ordered ours from:
If the link above does not work, try Bob Muncy by phoning (828) 963-6487 (this is a TCT post from 2009 so phone may be out of date-but try as I am sure it is a land line and Mr. Muncy may very well still have it) —–Or try his store at: (828) 832-3830
ISBN # is: 978-0-578-03731-8
SOCIAL MEDIA SITES:
Facebook offers many online forum sites where current, former or “wanna be” owners can share stories, resources, photos of restoration projects or simply ask a question!
Use the simple search of “Avion trailers” and you will be amazed! here are some that we belong to and comment in fairly regularly: (note, most if not all of these are monitored very well and do require you request to join)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/avion.owners/ (largest of all the groups)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/606338762755320/ (good site for Avion’s for sale and parts)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1455279564691895/ ( another good Avion owners site)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/842530932474447/ (especially good for tech talk)
Want to connect and find other Avion owners?? here is the RVillage Avion Owners group we started in 2018. Link-just type in a search for Avion owners! This group is basically to map out where fellow Avioner’s are with their rig, be that their home town or on the road. The mapping feature is terrific! Wonder where another Avion is close to you?? Check it out! (for current Avion owners only)
OTHER ONLINE WEBSITES FOR GREAT INFO!
MyVintageTravelTrailer.com (info to research Avion specs on models/years)
RESOURCES FOR DO IT YOUR-SELFER’S OR FOR GETTING YOUR AVION REPAIRED
Fletchers Trailer Sales (Fletch is an Avion owner!) UPDATE- FLETCH RETIRED IN 2019! Fletch did work for us our first season to prep our Avion for use. He rewired and replaced the front fuse box, Eternabonded the rooftop seams, checks our major systems and Mor-Ryde system and replaced most of the rubber window glaze bead around the exterior of most of our windows. He was great to work with an operates in the Seneca Lake area of the NY Finger Lakes in Trumansburg NY.
CAYO REPAIR, Watervliet, Michigan. Chuck is son to one of the original owners and considered among some circles to be an Avion Guru (or Wizard) for repairs, especially restoration projects like skin replacements due to accidents, etc. He does not have a website but can be reached by phone is best at 269-463-5068. Leave a message (or two) and they will get back to you. Warning, this company is high in demand, don’t expect to bring your rig in on Tuesday so you can get it repaired and use it to go camping on Friday. They are not too online present but here is their FB page for Cayo Repair Service
AVION FORUMS (ONLINE)
OTHER VINTAGE CAMPER LINKS & RESOURCES:
Vintage Campers on Pintrest…..great ideas and inspirations!
Vintage Trailer Shop (especially windows, parts, etc.)
Tin Can Tourists ( membership group of trailer lovers)
Reproduction Avion Travelcade Stickers ( on Ebay)